Friday, July 23, 2010

Erik Erickson and epigenetics

Erik Erickson described how an individual’s psycho-social development functions by the epigenetic principle. This principle says that we develop through a predetermined unfolding of our personalities in eight stages. Progress through each stage is determined by our success, or lack of success, through all the preceding stages. (Erikson, 1959)

A summary of these can be found at:
http://psychology.about.com/library/bl_psychosocial_summary.htm

At each level of development, the individual struggles with how to be “whole” and in satisfying relationship with others vs. feeling “dis-integrated” and out of harmony with the outside environment.

This model is the basis for thinking about how people develop both normally and abnormally, and had a profound effect on my approach as a treatment provider. Organizations are as "organic" as individuals, it seems to me, and move through developmental stages also.

I wanted the readers to know I have based my explorations on Erickson's broad shoulders.

2 comments:

  1. Been a long time -

    Are you establishing a framework - stages of development for organizations? It has been an interesting time as we just celebrated our 5th year as our own company, and I believe have just approached or have been approaching our first developmental milestone/crisis/or something.

    There might be some interesting perspectives here as we are both old and new at the same time. But I'll have to think about it awhile.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good hearing from you, Nancy!
    Creating a frame work of stages of organization development is EXACTLY what I'm establishing!
    Please keep me in the loop regarding Spirit's situation.
    Scott

    ReplyDelete